In school, licensed massage therapists are taught to be quiet letting the client relax as completely as possible for the highest therapeutic affect. While I understand the benefits of that and do accommodate when it is preferred, I have found the talking to have it’s own therapeutic effects:
- You are able to get things off your chest.
- We develop a better friendship.
- I can customize your session much more quickly.
Sense most of my clients are not used to a masseuse who will talk to them, here is how I go about it:
- I follow your cues. If you ask questions and initiate conversation I respond accordingly.
- If I’m unsure I ask what your preference is.
- If talking is uncomfortable while face down then I wait till you’re face up.
I really enjoy feedback. I know some therapists who don’t like to hear your sounds of approval. I do. It reinforces my intuitive style. Also, if I am doing something a little more extreme then I want to know right away if it’s working for you or not.
My clients have complimented my conversational skills. They have found me to be very easy to talk to and/or confide in. I am very responsive and mature. I also have a very eclectic background so I can talk about a variety of topics. And of course my own personal life is always great for conversation! I have a very unique lifestyle and it gives me tons of great stories to share with my clients.
Some recurring topics of conversation are:
- the swinging lifestyle
- sex in general
- sex problems
- BDSM (Bondage, Discipline, Dominance, Submission, Sadism and Masochism)
Please do comment if you have any questions or comments on this post. I would love to have some discussion here on my blog! Don’t worry – your identity will be kept anonymous!